Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Labor Day Weekend Labors

Things have slowed down a bit on the flocking front, which makes for a nervous Flamingess. Fortunately the Awning Queen has had need of my sign services and that has helped cover the bills.

This flock landed in Berkeley to celebrate a 25th birthday. When we returned to pick up the birds, the party was just breaking up. From the way everyone was dressed, they'd been out someplace fine and fun. I haven't seen that many great pairs of shoes since the last time I cruised the shops in Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. Not that I actually wear great shoes any more. It's Crocs and sneakers for me.

We prefer to do our flocking in the wee hours of the morning, but the sender of this bunch of birds insisted on a daylight invasion. When we got there, the reason became very clear. There was no way to approach the house without being heard and the two resident dogs bark at everything the gets close. This includes their owners. They sleep in that room right at the front of the house and at this time of year the windows are open. Sneaky as we can be, they would have ruined the surprise before we even got out of the van. Good call. And just to prove her right, they raised all kinds of hell when we picked up the birds at anout 1:30am. Hope everyone got back to sleep OK.

DBFA and I installed our biggest sign project to date on Saturday of the Labor Day weekend. I don't have pictures yet, but I'm told that it has exactly the impact the property owner was looking for. There may be some rework to replace some letters that ended up with big bubbles, but I'm hoping not. Now that the awning is installed, the letters are about 15 feet in the air. Ladders and I have an uneasy relationship. I go up OK (sort of), but the coming back down - would someone please call the Fire Department to rescue this bird!

We had a two whole nights off and then these guys were called to work. They looked so cute foraging around in the landscaping in front of this very "sty"lish home.

No comments: