Sunday, July 02, 2006

Bag-O-Buzzards - or - Route Optimization Options

Four stops to make, two going out and two coming in. Both for economy and to satisfy my desire for efficiency, I try to make our driving routes avoid back tracking. That meant we had to figure out how to put a picked up flock of buzzards into the van without interferring with a herd of dinosaurs that were awaiting delivery. To the rescue - the great big bird bag.

It was a late start. After the culinary excesses of the day, DBFA and I were unconscious in our recliners until almost 2AM. As predicted, neither one of us saw the end of the movie. Once we regained our senses, we loaded up flamingomobile with the dinosaurs and a herd of cows. The cows were delivered in Alameda, only a couple of miles away. We had been warned that this birthday boy sleeps at the front of the house and is closely guarded by a "yappy little watchdog". Lights were on, but no movement was seen. This was the first stop and we had to get the cows out in order to make the rest of the stops work, so light or not, the show had to go on. The "yappy little watchdog" must have been sleeping soundly because we made it undetected.

Next we headed back to Oakley to bag the buzzards. Stuffed the bag in on top of the dinosaurs and it was off to Alamo. Hauled the bag-o-buzzards out and stashed it on the lawn while we distributed the dinos. (You're right, Joe Mingo, the bag works great.) Back in to the van with the bag and off to retrive the anniverary greeting in Castro Valley.

We hit the nest at just about 5am. I've been up for about 2 hours now and DBFA is sound asleep in the chair to my left. I predict that absolutely nothing will get done today (except this blog posting). We have one movie to watch again, and another one to doze through - that's ambitious enough.

9 comments:

Christy said...

Oh my goodness this is great! Michelle sent me and I'm so glad she did! LOL
When I was in high school we used to do a non profit flamingo love sharing to our friends, enemies, and business's in our small town!

thanks for unknowingly bringing back some great memories!

Ladybug Crossing said...

I do so enjoy reading about your escapades!!
LBC

carmilevy said...

I'm sorry I don't live closer: what a hoot it would be to ride along with you and write about a delivery experience.

The article is great, BTW. Congratulations on this well-deserved recognition. May it continue to drive the growth of your delightful business.

jennypenny said...

Phew I hate yappy little dogs. Its a good thing it didnt ruin the surprise as that would have been no fun. Sounds like you have as much fun delivering as your recipients do!

Here from Michele's

srp said...

Here from Michele.

It sounds like you have a lot of fun in your nightly escapades. How long do the buzzards and cows and dinosaurs (oh, my!) stay on the lawns?

Anonymous said...

see you're online at the moment.

Guess you're in your prime time for your business.

Let me be the first to wish you a Happy 4th of July!

David Edward said...

wow - you guys have a weird schedule, maybe you could deliver newspapers on your way home ????
- for july 4th Jimi Hendrix is playing the national anthem at my blog!

Les Becker said...

Thanks for visiting me via Michele the other day! I'm glad I clicked your link - I must come back and read about more "deliveries"!

Bobealia... said...

I love this! I've never heard of it, but I love it!!!
Does it pay the rent?
Hi from Michele - and me.