Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Blast from the Past

I'm writing with a huge smile on my face. Late this afternoon I answered the phone and on the other end was my roommate and running mate from way back in my wild, wonderful and very wayward youth. We had a great talk and managed to get sort of caught up, and ever since I hung up I've been remembering our adventures. It was good to be young, single and slightly crazy in the early 70's.

How many nights did we decide we were bored and needed to go out and play? For some reason, we didn't play close to home. We would drive to Newport Beach (we lived in San Diego) on a week night to dance, drink, and generally carry on. Then crawl home just in time to shower, change clothes and get to work on time. Some weekends we would head to Palm Springs for our fun. Gas was cheap and two girls on the prowl didn't have to pay for too many of our own drinks. We usually knew some couch where we could crash when the bars and after hours spots closed. We lived the good life, and did it on a budget.

I wouldn't want to be 18 again, but I'd take a rerun of 23 any day.

No comments: